Wednesday 11 March 2009

Miniature - 'Aragorn' Graphite study

I am a big fan of Tolkein and Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films so when I was looking for a small study to try out some Dura-Lar film this one of Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn seemed a challenge - because of the look in his eyes. The original is 2.75" x 2.5". O.K. I know it is not my copyright but I have no intention of using this experimental image anywhere but here.
By the way I thoroughly recommend Dura-Lar Acetate alternative, it is archival quality and a pleasure to work with. Just a shame that I had to ask a friend in the US to send me some as it could not be found here in the UK. There will be more graphite studies - I will be going back to Arabians and other animals very soon. These studies are a useful change in the evenings when taking a break from larger commissioned oil work.

5 comments:

Tracy Hall said...

Wonderful work, lesley, especially at that size. Your captured the eyes beautifully! Very interesting to hear about the surface too.

About Me said...

VERY nicely done, Lesley! I've experimented with Dura-Lar too, on the recommendation of Andrew, and it is a fun surface to work with, once you get used to it. :)

Lesley Ann Hartman said...

Thank you both for your positive comments - I will be thanking Andrew also - as Dura-Lar is a real find :) Some things about this study did not work out quite the way I wanted (when are we artists entirely happy?) but it was fun and a great learning curve.

Anonymous said...

Lesley, you are amazing with portraits on normal size paintings. I can't believe this is your first attempt at a mini in graphite. You do as well in minis as you do in regular size paintings. Very well done!

Lesley Ann Hartman said...

Thank you Judy! It was fun...I bet you could do a brilliant owl (from your new photos)on this film :)